“How do I get started?”
That’s your question. The Digital Starter Kit is your answer:
- You don’t know what you need or where to start.
- Or you already have tons of software (that someone said you “must have”) but now you don’t know what to do with it. So you don’t do anything.
- You don’t like writing for one reason or another.
- Maybe you like writing or even see the need to blog for your business, but don’t know what to write about.
- You don’t have time for it.
- You’re feeling completely overwhelmed by it all. (Completely understandable.)
Yes, It’s Confusing …
I’ve worked in communications for more than 30 years, and I find the modern deluge of software, smartphones, social media, and all the rest completely overwhelming — and I understand this stuff!
That’s why my mission is to demystify it for others.
… but Not for Long
You can be a writer with chalk and a sidewalk. But to be a blogger, or blog for your business, you need software and workflows.
The Digital Starter Kit sets you up with these basic workflows and applications. When we’re done, you’ll be able to blog and share in a way that’s integrated and suited to your goals and resources.
I provide three core services in all my offerings:
- Creation — I do some of the work for you, show you how it’s done.
- Consulting — I help you plan, figure things out, choose the right options.
- Training — I teach you how to use what you have.
Specifically, that includes:
- Comparison shopping for applications, platforms, and plugins. I use some standard (free) ones and give you options for others.
- Installation and configuration. I install, configure, and generally set up your accounts and optimize your settings.
- Talking. We check in, discuss, and revise as we work.
- Training. Your ability to use things is the whole point.
I specialize in WordPress, but if your platform is Weebly or something else, I’ll find the equivalents and let you know your options.
And let me point out that there is almost always a free option for every piece of software I suggest or recommend, so it’s not required that you spend any money beyond the package price. Of course, you can always choose to pay for premium versions, which are often worth the few extra bucks. But that’s exactly the kind of thing we’ll discuss.
I prepare you and your blogging site in three different areas essential for success:
1) Optimization: Search & Analytics
Getting your original content found and shared is central to content marketing.
I configure the Yoast SEO plugin in conjunction with Google Search Console and Google Analytics. That way you can manage, monitor, and improve traffic to your website. I also install a free plugin so you get basic traffic reports conveniently inside your WordPress dashboard, without logging in to Google Analytics (unless you want to).
I’ll also show you how to use Yoast SEO to improve the searchability — and human readability — of every blog post you write.
Platforms & Plugins:
- Yoast SEO*
- Google Search Console*
- Google Analytics*
- Analytics plugin for WordPress
(Core elements are marked with an asterisk; unmarked items are options.)
This is the core of the Digital Starter Kit: setting up a manageable workflow.
The heart of a functional content marketing system is an editorial planning calendar, so we start there. In addition, I integrate your blog with your social platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and MailChimp. A social media dashboard helps you track and schedule it all. You may need other functionality as well; we determine that in our initial free consultation.
As a bonus, I’ll identify mobile apps that can help you on the fly when that sudden idea hits or perfect sharing article flows into your news feed.
Platforms & Plugins:
- Editorial Calendar*
- Social Share for WP*
3) Security: Performance & Protection
This is the part where non-techie content marketers can’t help you — but it’s important.
Cyberattacks and ransomware are a fact of online life, but most people don’t think about protecting their website. In fact, basic protection is easy and free. And it could save you thousands of dollars and countless anxious nights. This is not part of blogging per se, but keeping your blog safe and secure is essential for your business.
Platforms & Plugins:
- Wordfence* (cyberattack defense)
- UpdraftPlus* (site backups)
- WP Super Cache* (site speed)
Your first step is to request your free, one-hour consultation. Then we’ll go from there.